Take your class orienteering! The Botanic Garden has a set of compasses, clipboards, and maps to guide students through designated way-points around the gardens, answering related questions on a printable worksheet and learning interesting facts along the way.
- Ask for way-point flags to be put out for younger students, or withhold the flags to increase the difficulty and encourage use of the compasses, map and the worksheet picture clues to find the way-points.
- Print out either the junior or senior worksheets for your class and don't forget your pencils!
- It is recommended that you take 20 minutes to prepare students in class by practicing how to use a compass and read maps.
Related Curriculum Achievement Objectives:
Juniors: Curriculum Level 3
Seniors: Curriculum Level 4
- Health and Physical Education: A2, A3, B2, B3, C1, C3, D1, D3
- Mathematics and Statistics: Position and Orientation
- Working as a team
- Physical fitness and awareness
- Navigational skills (map and compass use)
- Introduction to different facts and features of the Botanic Garden
- 20x compasses
- 15x clipboards
- 15x laminated maps
- 1x reference sheets for facilitators
- Flags placed by staff on request
- Orienteering - Junior (PDF, 2.3 MB, new window)
This worksheet encourages younger children to use their observation skills to answer the questions.
- Orienteering - Junior Answers (PDF, 944.9 KB, new window)
This sheet contains sample answers for the Orienteering junior worksheet.
- Orienteering - Senior (PDF, 2.4 MB, new window)
This worksheet will encourage older students to use their observation and general knowledge skills to answer the questions.
- Orienteering - Senior Answers (PDF, 1.2 MB, new window)
This sheet contains sample answers to the Orienteering senior worksheet.
- Orienteering Lesson Plan (PDF, 1.2 MB, new window)
This lesson plan outlines some ideas for your class, including other resources you may need to bring. It covers a range of subjects.
- Orienteering Map - Kit (PDF, 7.8 MB, new window)
This map shows you where to place your flags for the Orienteering course.